[3830] TBDC G6ZZ(G4PIQ) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC G6ZZ(G4PIQ) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 19:35:18 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Dec 17

Call: G6ZZ
Operator(s): G4PIQ
Station: G4PIQ

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: JO02RF
Operating Time (hrs): 6.5
OpMode: SO2R

Total:  QSOs = 193  Total Score = 723

Club:

Comments:

Was persuaded to come on and activate one of the original early calls associated
with the Transatlantic Tests in the early 1920s, 100 years ago for the Stew. I
couldn't do the whole event, but my antennas, activity and conditions didn't
really warrant a full time operation anyhow.

Conditions to the East seemed very poor, though I was not active for much of
that window - no Asia worked at all - and never even heard a JA. Activity in
Europe and Asia seemed low. To the West, signals were weak to start with, but
got louder to the point that I could hear both sides of many QSOs within NA. But
- it was not a high-angle night, and only having a low-ish dipole available on
transmit made me very weak. Thank you to so many of you for your persistence -
especially as G6ZZ / JO02 will not have been in your SCP files!

As in the ARRL 160 (for which conditions were substantially worse than this) -
there are some folks with excellent ears, and some with a seemingly very high
noise floors. Seems like something must have been wrong at W2GD this weekend -
they had strongest signal on the band early in the night - but very unusually
for them - were unable to hear me and many other callers.

I went QRT at 0200 and came back at 0630 - nearly 90 minutes before our sunrise.
By then, the East Coast folks were weaker still, but there was a little
propagation to the Mid West. Still couldn't raise NA7TB, but I hope K7NJ was OK
in the end, and Steve VE6WZ was a good signal for quite a long period.

At least some changes to the station with extra common-mode choking on the Rx
antenna feed made the SO2R in-band stuff work more effectively.

2 x K3 + Ten Tec Titan
Inv-V Dipole @ 20m. K9AY 100m from Tx antenna.

73

Andy, G4PIQ