[3830] NAQP CW W1DYJ Single Op Assisted LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, larryb@alum.mit.edu
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW W1DYJ Single Op Assisted LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 23:23:26 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: W1DYJ
Operator(s): W1DYJ
Station: W1DYJ

Class: Single Op Assisted LP
QTH: EMA
Operating Time (hrs): 6:56

  160:   23    17
   80:   30    17
   40:   55    31
   20:   66    32
   15:   33    20
   10:   21    13
-------------------
Total:  228   130  Total Score = 29,640

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Team: YCCC PTers

Comments:

This was fun -- and a personal best (PB): 66% above my last PB.

I decided to work top-down, trying for a PB on each band
before moving down.  Had 10m-PB by 2:42pm local,
15m-PB by 4:07pm, 20m-PB by 6:20 when I broke for dinner.

Starting again after dinner, 40 was weird.  The band was noisy,
and close-in signals were "watery", almost like a short echo.
New to me, could it have been some sort of backscatter?  It
sounded almost like aurora!  Hit my 40m-PB at 8:45.

After a half-hour break, and as my previous 160 numbers
were way below 80, I went there next.  Got what I could but
not a PB -- so I moved to 80 for a bit, then went back to 160
and got the PB at 9:26.  I finished on 80, way below any PB there.

With my lack of touch-typing, this was all C/S&P.  When
hitting a new band every call was obviously new -- and usually
a new mult.  I noticed my rate meter at 60 three times after
switching to a new band, a new level for me.

I ignored most Qs above 35wpm or so -- I just can't copy that
fast.  This was especially true for the weird names.  I finally
gave up at 10:45 when I just couldn't copy whatever name
was being sent -- my brain was just too fried.  Lost that Q!

Rig: TS-590SG
Actual BIC = 5:47 hours  (Classic "30 minute" time = 6:56 hours)
Antennas:
   Upper HF - Roof Tower
          10:  HB 5el yagi @ 30ft
          15:  HB Rotatable Dipole @ 33ft
          20:  HB Moxon @ 36ft
   160/80/40  HB Fan dipole: trapped 80/40/30 [SE-NW] AND trapped
           160/75 [S-N, with North end turning a few times to
           fit in the yard] -- 35' at center, between 30' and 15' at
           the various ends (a small back yard!)
Logger: N3FJP NAQP Contest Log V 5.3.3

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ