[3830] NAQP SSB K4HQK Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jwfuller@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB K4HQK Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2023 17:50:01 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - January

Call: K4HQK
Operator(s): K4HQK
Station: K4HQK

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Alexandria, VA
Operating Time (hrs): 4

  160:
   80:   26    15
   40:  100    27
   20:   19    15
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  145    57  Total Score = 8,265

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team:

Comments:

My plan: Concentrate on the ARRL VHF contest and hope for some help from the
propagation gods. That didn't pan out--all QSOs from Alexandria Saturday were
regional and with few participants heard--so I switched over to the NAQP-SSB
from time to time. My three visits totaled four hours.

QSO distances were quite limited, even on 20m, with Oklahoma being my farthest
in the U.S. Canadian QSOs were even more limited: only Ontario and Quebec
provinces. My one DX QSO was V31XX in Belize.

I opened on 20m but found signals weak and few. I worked 19 and gave up. Later I
opened on 40m, worked a few S&P, then tried a run (2040 EST). To my
amazement I created a pileup! From the response I thought I was on Bouvet :-) I
almost laughed. By 2115 EST the demand ended. I had worked 63 stations in 35
minutes.

With the pileup over, I finished with a short (26 QSO) visit to 80m, which,
alas, offered little activity. I QRTed at 2200 EST.

Once again it was moving to work so many PVRC members who'd replaced their names
with “Fred,” that of our late, greatly-missed K3ZO.

John K4HQK
Alexandria, Virginia

Station: IC-7410, dipoles, Cushcraft vertical