[3830] NAQP SSB N1CFO(@KK1L) M/2 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kk1l@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB N1CFO(@KK1L) M/2 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2023 20:44:37 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - January

Call: N1CFO
Operator(s): N1CFO KK1L
Station: KK1L

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: VT
Operating Time (hrs): 12

  160:   42    18
   80:  207    37
   40:  577    55
   20:  365    47
   15:  176    43
   10:  133    31
-------------------
Total: 1500   248  Total Score = 372,000

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

Rig :
Run=Elecraft K3 (100W)
2nd=Elecraft KX2 into Hardrock50 (50W+)

Antennas :
DXE 3x10 Skyhawk (no triplexer)
Cushcraft XM240
Inv-V 80m
Inv-V 160m

Had interest from a local ham interested in improving his contest skills and
sharing a contest experience in working NAQP from my station. Since there is no
multi-single NAQP entry I split up my (currently pretty lame) SO2R setup as two
separate stations. Since there is only a tribander without a plex I knew we
could only start running both stations when 40m started to be worth a darn
around 1700L ish. Well it turns out that the KX2 is not so happy with 20m
running 9 feet below it on the mast. I had to fab up a quick stub to notch in
7MHz. That solved the issue and we were able to run 40m and 20m. I had also
never set up my antenna switching to share the FreqEZ with two computers, so
there was a bit of learning there. All in all it worked out well.

Erik, N1CFO, was familiar with N1MM+, but as y'all know each station is
configured a bit differently and there is  definitely a bit more going on at
mine! I started off on 10m to set a rhythm, but made a rookie mistake of not
starting off near the bottom of the band. Calling CQ well up into the 500's at
the start is not a way to have folks find you and start working you. The rate
was pretty meager. I handed the helm over to Erik at about 1340L and he dove
right in and put the foot on the gas. Great to see. He did not look back the
rest of the event. A few hints about picking up mults and making the shift to
80m and 160m is all. Super pumped to see him having a good time.

I found 40m to be pretty weird. I expected it to start short...which it
did...and grow longer into the night...which it did poorly. NY, NY, PA, PA, NY,
NJ, CT...then IL, OH...then MN, NE...then NY, NY, PA, PA, NY, NJ
(what?!?)...then AZ, CA...then NY, NY, PA, PA, NJ, CT. I did work HI and AK but
WAY fewer long ones. There were long periods of calling with very few takers,
but the station was not flexible enough (remember I said "currently pretty
lame" setup) to allow covering the two bands that would best produce at the
same time. We made lemonade from our lemons.

I cannot speak for Erik on his experience, but looking at the numbers there were
great runs with lots of mults on 15m and 20m, but not so much on 80m and 160m.

All in all a great time and look forward to making some tweaks to the station to
support fun like this

73 es God Bless de KK1L, Ron <><