[3830] ARRL Jan VHF KR1ST Single Op-All Modes HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, alex@kr1st.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF KR1ST Single Op-All Modes HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 20:48:48 +0000

      Beko HLV-1000-222 (222)
      Gemini 70-1k (432)
      Gemini 23 (1296)
Ants: M2 6M3 (50)
      M2 2M9SSB (144)
      M2 222-10EZ (222)
      M2 432-6WL (432)
      Wimo SHF-2367 (1296)

This is a personal best for me for a January contest. I had a lot of fun and
really enjoyed the conversations I had with folks. I probably should concentrate
on maximizing my score, but I don't. Maximizing fun is more important to me. :)

On Saturday I worked SSB/CW/FM only until about 10pm. Then I switched to FT8.
Sunday morning started with a few Q's on SSB/CW but that dried up quickly and
there was no point calling CQ for me on voice, so I worked mostly FT8 for the
rest of the day. This time I paid more attention to FM and had some nice Q's
which I really appreciate.

The bands seemed flat to me, except of small peeks of Es on 6m to FL, but too
short for an exchange. There was a little tropo to the west of me that netted in
a few extra much needed grids, especially on 2m. I did not try MS. I was
pleasantly surprised that there was an opening to South America near the end of
the contest and was really happy to get Chile, Argentina and Brazil in the log.
That was a really nice treat! Unfortunately, at the same time the ice started
building up on my antennas and I started losing bands one by one. Six meters was
the last band left I could still work folks on regularly, but I could see the
SWR creeping up with every transmission. The Gemini HF-1k has a really neat
feature where it lowers the power by changing the voltage to the LDMOS when the
SWR starts to approach 2:1. That kept me going for a wee bit longer. My last QSO
was on 2m with a local ham, KB3VQL, with me running just 5W and a 3:1 SWR. I
then decided to pack it in about an hour and a half before the contest ended.

Thanks for all the Q's!

73,
--Alex KR1ST

Contest: ARRLVHFJAN