[3830] ARRL Jan VHF K1TEO Single Op-All Modes HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF K1TEO Single Op-All Modes HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 17:14:19 +0000
                    ARRL January VHF Contest - 2023

Call: K1TEO
Operator(s): K1TEO
Station: K1TEO

Class: Single Op-All Modes HP
QTH: FN31/CT
Operating Time (hrs): 26
OpMode: SO2R

    6:  278    57
    2:  231    47
  222:   67    29
  432:  104    31
  903:   26    17
  1.2:   43    19
  2.3:   21    11
  3.4:    6     6
  5.7:    5     5
  10G:    1     1
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  783   222  Total Score = 309,468

Club: Mt Airy VHF Radio Club

Comments:

Score was down a bit. Activity seemed ok but not great, while condx were about
normal for this time of year. A few observations:

- Score was heavily impacted by lower microwave results. That was partially
because of equipment issues on my end, and partly because of the difficulty
moving guys off of FT8. And there were fewer rovers out this year with the
microwaves. A first in my many years contesting from FN31 - I didn't work anyone
on 902 or up in my own grid, except on 1296. It wasn't too long ago that I could
work 4-5 2G and 3G qso's in FN31!

-I went in with an RX issue on 3400. I saw that the prior Sunday but didn't work
up the energy to tilt over the tower to find out why. I kept trying it during
the contest as I knew it was xmitting fine. Surprisingly, Sunday am on one of
the tries I had RX gain. I worked everyone I tried while it worked. It went on
and off throughout the day.

- My 222 station was down significiantly on RX for some reason. Stations are
usually about the same on 222 and 432 but were way down on 222 this weekend. To
top it off my amplifier stopped working Sunday morning. I put in a spare which
allowed me to operate at about half power, but there is clearly a significant
problem. SWR was fine. I have a 736R and an xvtr as options and rx was the same
on both so it's not the rig.

- 10G didn't seem to work but was pleasantly surprised Sunday that I could hear
AF1T just fine. No locals on to test and Dale was the lone QSO

-My noise issues keep getting worse and worse. There are several new Solar
installations close by. Likely a major contributor. Sure makes things difficult
on 6 and 2. Winter seems to be the worst period but significant RF noise is
ongoing year round here.

-I worked some weak Es on Saturday and some more Sunday afternoon and evening.
That was nice. But Sunday I could see lots of stations on FT8 working SA. Not a
single one was copied here, and I didn't see any spots in SA for me on Psk
reporter so looks like I just wasn't into that opening. I did have spotty Es to
the Gulf Coast at the same time which likely was the first hop. Must just not
have aligned with the second E cloud for me.

Tnx as always to the rovers - NN3Q, W3ICC, K2UA , VE3OIL- that I worked. You're
a tough breed and much appreciated!

Tnx for the Q's and to the ARRL for sponsoring the contest!

Jeff K1TEO