[3830] ARRL Jan VHF AJ6T Single Op-All Modes LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, AJ6T@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF AJ6T Single Op-All Modes LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 03:23:43 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  51     36  Total Score = 2,520

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

My main goal in this contest was to work a few more 222 MHz grids toward VUCC on
that band.  I did snag several new ones, so the effort was successful on that
score.  Since my station was still operational on 6m with a K3s and OCFD I made
some contacts on that band as well.  Unfortunately, a very nearby lightning
stroke took out my KPA1500 amplifier a few days before the contest, so this was
a low power effort. I was pleased to be able to reach out 350+ miles on 222 MHz
using 25 watts from an Icom IC375A and 10-element M2 Yagi at 30 feet.  The
mast-mount preamp on that band helps immensely.  Logging was semi-manual since
N1MM+ does not have a dropdown choice for the ancient IC375A.  Propagation was
only fair as expected for VHF in January, but I still had a lot of fun.  I hope
to be ready with a better station in June.  Thanks to the rovers NV4B/R, K4NO/R,
AG4V/R and W5VY/R who braved some nasty weather to put extra QSOs and grids in
my log.
73, Walt, AJ6T EM66GM