[3830] BC QSO VA7ODX Multi-OpMixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, va7bec@rac.ca
Subject: [3830] BC QSO VA7ODX Multi-OpMixed HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2023 03:08:04 +0000
                    British Columbia QSO Party - 2023

Call: VA7ODX
Operator(s): VA7BEC VA7KO
Station: VA7ODX

Class: Multi-OpMixed HP
QTH: Delta
Operating Time (hrs): 20

  160:    7      2        7         3
   80:   15     12       11        11
   40:   48     63       27        34
   20:  271    350       65        62
   15:  274    243       62        56
   10:  223    446       54        34
Total:  752    893      226       200  Total Score = 2,042,244

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Wasn't that a PARTY?!!! Not the Irish Rovers kind, though. Anyone remember that
band from way, way back? Anyway, no whiskey, gin or six-packs provided in BCQP.
LOL Just a lot of CQing, a lot of replies and a great deal of fun.

Band conditions were quite wonderful, maybe not for everyone everywhere, but
certainly a whole lot better than last year for us in BC. 10m was open for hours
and hours. 15m was very workable for hours and hours. 20m was the go-to band, of
course, except for the fact that everyone seemed to go there, and it was
extremely crowded. Not necessarily a bad thing if you want to S&P for
multipliers in the various events. But it was harder for CQing BC stations in
BCQP to find a spot that didn't impact other CQing stations nearby or didn't get
impacted by other stations too close by. QRM can mess with even the most
beautiful signals.

At the sponsor station, VA7ODX, we heard a lot more BC stations. Not just in
terms of the ability to hear stations but also in terms of a wider mix of
callsigns - some I've not heard in BCQP before - and districts activated.
Fabulous development. Of course, given the size and geography of BC and
challenges caused by skip on 20m in particular, some BC stations on Vancouver
Island will be heard by - and hear - stations that BC stations in the Metro
Vancouver area will not. Or from the southeast corner of BC. The wider
geographical representation of BCQP participants in BC this year was, I'm sure,
very welcome to participants outside BC as well as within the province.

Trading Qs with MN stations was smooth, and more MN stations dropped by on
Sunday after the MNQP was done to add to their BCQP logs. There were a few VT
stations throughout the weekend, some happy for a traded "59 BC,"
others just happy to have a Q and give out "VT" for us. Lots more DX
in the VA7ODX log, too, obviously a reflection of better band conditions.

Given the results we achieved at VA7ODX and comments I've received from
participants, I'd say BCQP 2023 was a party to remember. I'm sure there will be
a lot of records broken and certainly a lot of personal bests bettered.

Results will probably be announced in April with my post-party report uploaded
later when the number-crunching is done, and I'll send out a general email to
participants with links to the results and the after-party report when ready.

Thanks to everyone who participated in BCQP 2023 - to the many BC operators who
stayed in the chair and called CQ on Saturday and Sunday and to the many
operators inside and outside BC who diligently searched for BC districts. I hope
everyone who amassed QSOs has gotten off to a great start in the State QSO Party
Challenge.

See you again in February 2024 – Feb 3-4.

Stay well. Stay safe. Enjoy radio.

73
Rebecca VA7BEC (PH op @VA7ODX), BCQP Contest Coordinator
Koji VA7KO (CW op @VA7ODX)