[3830] RTTY WPX KU2M SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY WPX KU2M SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 00:15:24 +0000
                    CQ WPX RTTY Contest - 2023

Call: KU2M
Operator(s): KU2M
Station: KU2M

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Wayne, NJ
Operating Time (hrs): 27.1

------------
   80:   71
   40:  336
   20:  264
   15:  435
   10:  338
------------

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Summed up neatly, the best contest conditions I've experienced in years.
Fabulous prop on 10M, especially - with strong openings even to JA and zone 19
(UA0), enabling my first 10M QSOs to those locations in many years (hey- this is
New Jersey).

Because I had to work late on Friday, then do the weekly food shopping, make
some kind of dinner and then get comatose for a while after a long day (I was
fresh out of amphetamines), I couldn't decide whether to even turn on the rig
until late in the evening, otherwise I could have logged another 3 hours of
operation (yeah I know, get out the violin).

If there was any downside besides the fact that Jeeves had the weekend off and I
could have used some food service while operating (just kidding), it was that
trying to be heard by DX on 80M with my nasty-looking, hastily erected wire
ground plane with a single counterpoise proved to be an emphatic reminder of
what the Low Power category is all about - namely, suffering. However, I was
fortunate enough, even running just 100w, to get some good runs on the upper
bands. I tried to keep a clean log, but I know I'll have some busted serial
numbers that will cost me. But I can't complain, because you do the best you can
and as my dad used to tell me (who at one time played semi-pro football for the
Jersey Giants, the progenitor of the NY team of the same name), "those are
the breaks of the game."

As a side note, since I'm more or less accustomed to running unassisted in all
the contests in which I take part seriously, I did the first 24 or 25 hours
unassisted, and only decided to turn on the Telnet a few hours before the end to
see how it worked. I think it was good for a few extra prefixes, but overall,
having done without it wasn't a big deal, and in afterthought, may have been an
advantage, at least for me. Maybe next year (if there is a next year) I'll keep
it on for the whole thing, if I can learn to manage it properly.

Like everyone else, I'm hoping for more great prop for ARRL CW, but even if the
bands are a bust next weekend, having such terrific conditions and participation
 for WPX RTTY made this contest one to remember!