[3830] RTTY WPX NG1M SOAB Classic HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ng1m.radio@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY WPX NG1M SOAB Classic HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 15:02:04 +0000
                    CQ WPX RTTY Contest - 2023

Call: NG1M
Operator(s): NG1M
Station: NG1M

Class: SOAB HP
Class Overlay: Classic
QTH: RI
Operating Time (hrs): 16

------------
   80:    9
   40:  185
   20:  363
   15:   38
   10:  279
------------
Total:  874  Prefixes = 448  Total Score = 1,005,312

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

I have been seriously contesting in my basement with my FLEX 6400 since 2020.
And all of these contests have gone rather flawlessly.  Last year I purchased a
FLEX Power Genius Amplifier, which is not only amazing, but idiot proof.
Everything was running smoothly…

Until Friday.

I love this contest and spent part of the week getting ready for it.  I mounted
a new (old) monitor to provide additional information.  Tuned my 80M dipole.  Ed
W0YK and Craig K9CT were very helpful getting a digital interface window in
N1MM+ set up for my second slice receiver.  I tried something different this
year and had THREE RTTY Engines translating – 2Tone as the primary, with MMTTY
and GRITTY for additional translating – getting different looks at what was
coming in.  This turned out to be very helpful.

Friday night – the radio was not always transmitting.  When it was, the radio
was not talking to the amplifier.  Something weird was happening to ANT1 vs
ANT2.  Nothing was working.  Saturday morning – still not working AND my wife
got sick.  So, I intermittently tried to figure out what was going on, updated
ALL the FLEX software, and worked on my taxes…  NINETEEN HOURS into the
contest I realized a SELF-INFLECTED error of an incorrect setting. Once fixed,
everything was smooth & perfect!  After ~50 or so near-perfect basement
contests, these things happen.  Such is life.

In the end I ran for ~16 hours in the CLASSIC overlay, not the 24 CLASSIC I had
planned.  My rate was better than last year - I had an amazing run on 10M Sunday
morning, including JAs.  20M was also hot.   The overall rate was +10% greater
than last year.  I think that was due to running Europeans on 10 & 20Ms
quickly as opposed to domestic contacts on 40M.  Better for points also.  I ran
a vast majority of the contest – if you’re not running / you’re not
racing!

The multiple RTTY engines proved to be a plus.  Sometime only one would pull a
call sign out of the noise.  It was taxing on my old PC – another motivation
to finally upgrade it.  And trade my 6400 in for a 6600 so I can try SO2R.

FLEX 6400 & Power Genius XL Amp
N1MM+ with 2TONE, MMTTY & GRITTY RTTY engines
WTRC 2014 Tower & Wires