[3830] CWopsT OH3BCX(OH1ZAA) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, elefa@wippies.fi
Subject: [3830] CWopsT OH3BCX(OH1ZAA) Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 20:58:54 +0000
                    CWops Test (CWT) - 1900Z Feb 15

Call: OH3BCX
Operator(s): OH1ZAA
Station: OH3BCX

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: KP200XW
Operating Time (hrs): 0.4

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:  12
   20:   2
   15:
   10:
------------
Total:  14  Mults = 13  Total Score = 182

Club: Contest Club Finland

Comments:

Tonight I was forced to adapt to the bad practice of
starting station repair just at the beginning of CWT.

I thought I had an end fed over-long vertical with
parasitic 0.47 wave directors for both 7 and 14 MHz.
Diving into the dark I found that the 14 MHz director
was slanting 45 deg, passing the vertical closely. The
7 MHz dir seemed to be upright on the insulator tube.

However, the counterpoise i.e. the long fence, was
decoupled (wire broken). Now, for end fed wires, the
coax braid can take over somewhat the counterpoise
function, and queer impedances through deformation
will be taken care of by the tuner. But the problem
which occurred during the 1300Z session, was oxidation
of the 4-way Daiwa coax-switch, having been in wind
and weather without protection for years already.

By 1935Z I got the feed-point grounded and the switch
operational (repeated contact movement left-to-right).

Aurora was still raging at over 50 gigawatts. IT9SSI
Dario managed to escape from 14 MHz to 7 MHz before
I got my call out, but I found solace in the Spanish
direction with EA6BF Josep and EA1X Juan. With LP
7 MHz turned out difficult due to solid attendance,
so I was always last in queue. And then all was over!

Cheers/73, Zaba OH1ZAA #1856 CWops