[3830] ARRLDX CW K0EU SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, rkmassoc@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW K0EU SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 20:40:56 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2023

Call: K0EU
Operator(s): K0EU
Station: K0EU

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: CO
Operating Time (hrs): 34
OpMode: 2BSIQ

  160:   11    11
   80:   65    27
   40:  431    73
   20:  429    87
   15:  913   102
   10:  747    92
-------------------
Total: 2596   392  Total Score = 3,032,904

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

I was going to try for an almost full time effort, even though I had a
commitment to play a music gig an hour away from home Friday afternoon. So, I
started an hour late but soon found I had a bad case of brain fog and was not
having much fun. Took an hour off and came back, but still struggled. Finally
bagged it and got a good nights sleep. I walked the dogs before sunrise, and
then sat down at the radios to try it again. Brain back to normal. Decided to
press forward even though I had already taken 9 hours off.

Conditions were great on the high bands. I don't know how 80 and 160 were on
night one because I missed all of it. I wasn't impressed with night number two
as I only worked one European on 160 (TM6M) and very few Europeans on 80M. My
local noise level seemed worse than usual, so maybe others had a better go of
it.

The high bands were a lot of fun. I had limited success using 2BISQ. It worked
well with dual 10/15 pileups to Japan. I got it to work occasionally with dual
10/15 pileups to Europe but found I would get overwhelmed by one pile or the
other. I finally gave up on the idea and found it was easier to stick with one
pileup and work the second band by picking off second radio Q's from the N1MM
band map.

There was some cool DX out there, but not as much as you find in the CQWW. I
can't blame the DX that much. It has to be boring for them to only be able to
work W/VE. It seemed like there were quite a bit more Russians on the air. The
old CBS program I use to analyze my log shows about 150 UA/UA9 contacts. My
version of this ancient DOS program has a limit of 5500 prefixes for the CTY.DAT
file. The latest CTY.DAT has 6000+. Any country beginning with V-Z or a number
ended up being unclassified.

It was neat to be called by W0DLE Chuck as XV9DL. He was at my house last Sunday
dropping off a T2X rotor. He was flying to Viet Nam on Tuesday and had a TA-33
tribander with him that he was taking over. I wonder if he got it up in the air
that quickly?

Around mid morning Sunday, it looked like I had a chance at breaking the 3
million mark. In the end, I just squeaked by on raw score. Working a flurry of
mults on 20M in the last hour made the difference, even though I passed on the
LU/Z station that was posted there. That pileup was really ugly!

There are some super ops out there. No surprise that I worked these six stations
on all bands:
ZF1A KL7RA P40L TI7W PJ2T 8P5A

Heard many GMCC'ers giving it a go including W0ETT, NN0G, K0UK, and others.

73 Randy/Ken K0EU