[3830] ARRLDX CW WO1N SOUAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wo1n@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW WO1N SOUAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 06:00:38 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2023

Call: WO1N
Operator(s): WO1N
Station: WO1N

Class: SOUAB LP
QTH: FN42IO
Operating Time (hrs): 36.5

  160:   45    29
   80:  153    53
   40:  330    70
   20:  430    83
   15:  555    90
   10:  530    91
-------------------
Total: 2043   416  Total Score = 2,545,920

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Station: FTdx5000, C3-SS@38', 40MDi@50', 80M-K2KQ, 160M-InvL@65', K9AY Loop,
160M Shielded loop, N1MM+

Well, as many have expressed, this was one for the ages. Surpassed my 2.1M
personal best from 2013 by far.  Surpassed best Q count from 2010 by 300Qs.
Probably good for a top 10 in the US.

I didn't quite know what to expect with the X2.2 class flare about 4 hours
before the start and many warnings about G2 storm levels. But hell, as far as
I can tell the flare rung the ionosphere. 20M and 15M open worldwide at the
start.

I am glad YCCC member K1BX didn't post on the online scoreboard as his
score might have been a bit discouraging. Super effort, Art! I ran down
YCCC member N1EN only to find out later he had several interruptions.
Couldn't quite run down KG9X but passed N4XL and had to hustle like hell
to stay in front of him.  The scoreboard was a good source of BIC inspiration
all weekend long. N1MM+ says 36.5 hours and backed up by an SH5 analysis.
Although, I made Qs in 42 out of the 48 hours.

Some 26-6 Banders, 35-5B and 49-4B. In the end only one new band country.

I found low bands in good shape too. Even managed 3 small runs on 80M and
calling CQ on 160M yielded a couple of DX. Calling CQ on 40M Saturday evening
around dinner time yielded a massive pile up and I thought to myself this is
nuts, someone please save me! It came in the form of voice from above
"Dear, dinner is on the table if you want to eat." Good enough excuse
to bail out for me ;-)

Best hour was 154 Saturday morning around 1700Z. That was during a 301Q run
on 15M in total. 10 was great. 20M really was short-changed, probably antenna
limited here, run rates were relatively modest. I think everyone was up
on 10 and 15 all weekend.

Other than that no problems on my end. I worked with a neighbor before the
contest to address a flickering photocell controlled entry way light that is
direct line of sight from my shack window. I sniffed it with a TinySA before
and after but couldn't see any changes. He also worked with me as I watched
160M on my SDR turning it on and off from the wall switch. It didn't appear
to be any of my low band noise sources, but it is off my list of potential
sources. And his entry way looks a hell-of-a-lot better now that he has
replaced the bulb. Just doing my neighborly duty to keep the area looking
presentable.

I can't imagine seeing any better conditions.

73,

Ken - WO1N