[3830] ARRLDX CW WX0B(AD5Q) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW WX0B(AD5Q) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 22:09:45 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2023

Call: WX0B
Operator(s): AD5Q
Station: WX0B

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Dallas
Operating Time (hrs): 45.5
OpMode: 2BSIQ

  160:   12     9
   80:   75    35
   40:  690    73
   20: 1054    78
   15: 1228    79
   10:  883    81
-------------------
Total: 3942   355  Total Score = 4,143,915

Club: DFW Contest Group

Comments:

This was my 5th rollout of 2BSIQ integration witn WinTest, the only option for
us since the station is already highly automated with LUA scripting. Wanted to
switch to DXLog, which would have meant re-writing EVERYTHING in C#(debugging
on-site, BTW). Contest software lacking a scripting language is a non-starter.
Same is true of programmer's text editors (eg. Visual Studio).

Am now able to smoothly handle two big runs at once. Always feared trying this
because it could mean screwing up a great contest. This is a big step forward,
but with both radios deployed on runs I need a new strategy for mults. Really
eff'ing obvious.

Relying on 2BSIQ for an entire contest only works if you are the only op in a
good mult. For the rest of us there are tradeoffs with the 2nd radio: run on two
bands, pounce with the 2nd radio, or pounce only (often on 2 bands). I got this
all wrong and don't understand why (yet). Even a 3rd radio wouldn't have helped
because 2BSIQ is too intense - not for everybody. Can't even eat.

I have a software popup that constantly displays the complete status of two
previous scores (not necessarily my own). Minute by minute, it updates with data
from the same minute of prior years. It shows total Q's and mults on each band,
current score, rates, and indicates the bands that were running or pouncing. I
have had this for years. For this contest, one of my benchmarks was the ARRL in
2015 (4002 Q's x 442 mults). My PB.

So I was able to tell, early on, that 2BSIQ was bleeding my mult totals. I op'd
most of the contest trying to catch up while always falling further behind my
benchmark. Times where I usually do my mult sweeps didn't produce, and I left
perfectly good runs to hunt mults while nearly everyone else continued running.
Where were the mults? Were they run or pounce? I am baffled. S&P was time
consuming because there was so much activity to tune through - mostly stateside.
Maybe I should have run more.

On lowbands I see the problem. I found exceptionally low activity and assumed
conditions were poor. Should have tried running. As for the rest, I will figure
this out when the on-line logs are posted. Write some more code. Data mine.

Roy -- AD5Q