[3830] CQ160 SSB K3ZM Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, pbriggs876@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 SSB K3ZM Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 15:08:52 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: K3ZM
Operator(s): K3ZM
Station: K3ZM

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 22

Total:  QSOs = 834  State/Prov = 53  Countries = 41  Total Score = 260,192

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Congratulations to LU9ESD at K1LZ on a fine score in sometimes-difficult
conditions.  It has been a good week for Team Krassy.  Posting the highest
claimed multi-multi score in ARRL CW and now this.  Lots of hard work
accomplished very quickly.  They deserve much credit and recognition.

The first night was agonizing down here in Virginia.  There was no EU for me
until a flurry of contacts at their sunrise Friday night, and the activity level
stateside was down somewhat.  On the bright side, conditions were okay to the
West, though not great.  I managed one VE7, one KH6, and then VK3IO before my
sunrise.  At bedtime Saturday morning, my total score was dismally low.  Only
144,669 points with 28 countries and 53 states and an anemic QSO total of 631
(ouch).  I had hardly worked any EU stations.  Amazingly, my score at that point
might have been higher than K1LZ.

Saturday night offered up no EU contacts at my sunset.  It looked like a long
night, but then as often happens I had a sustained run of EU’s, who at last
have become keenly interested in North American contacts as the sun rises across
Eastern EU.  For about three hours, I ran EU on pace with K1LZ but I could tell
that it was a lot harder for me.  The EU’s were clearly louder up there in
Maine, and he was apparently louder over in EU.  It was only through
methodically extracting the callsigns of the DX stations that I was able to keep
pace.  But then I lost the race.

Highlights included working K4ZDM, N1CQ, VE2DLJ, K7SV and N2RK.  Thanks for
calling in.

I missed UT, WY, ND, VO1, VO2, VE4 and VE5.

Working conditions:

XMIT Antenna – Full sized Four Square overlooking the Chesapeake Bay in a very
quiet location.

Two DXE RX Four Squares spaced 270 apart center to center, broadside to EU and
fed with DXE NCC-1 phasing box, thus switchable to end-fire.

A third RX Four Square from Hi-Z that is well inland from all other antennas.
540 foot Beverage to 45 degrees.  540 foot Beverage to 270 degrees.  1,000 foot
Beverage to 320 degrees.  They don't work normally over my excellent ground.

K3 with Heil number four cartridge.  ACOM 2000A.  Two receivers listening on
separate antennas at all times.

Thanks for all the QSOs.

73,

Peter  K3ZM