[3830] CQ160 SSB KH6AQ Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, telegrapher9@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 SSB KH6AQ Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 14:19:36 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: KH6AQ
Operator(s): KH6AQ NH6V
Station: KH6AQ

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: Pahoa, Hawaii
Operating Time (hrs): 23

Total:  QSOs = 207  State/Prov = 44  Countries = 7  Total Score = 104,754

Club:

Comments:

Another successful 160 meter "Field Day" with Dave (KH6AQ) and Rob
(NH6V) came off without too many problems.  This was our third this season and
we have it dialed in. It takes about 8 hours to set up camp, install the antenna
and get the equipment to play together nicely. Once again we lived on various
types of burritos made by Tammy, Dave's XYL. It rained off and on but did not
drench us during set up or tear down. There was a high surf advisory all weekend
and our camp 25' above the ocean was covered in salt spray.

The antenna installation almost came to halt when the 30 lb test leader line in
the 140' tree broke and was left dangling 20' above ground. Rob saved the day by
climbing on top of his car roof and reaching up with a fishing pole to hook it.
One more foot and we would have been out of business as it was too windy to fly
the drone. The full size 1/4 wavelength, 45-degree sloping wire ground plane
worked quite well. The two elevated 1/4 wavelength radials ran parallel to the
cliff and were over 10' above a'a lava.

The FTdx-101D and SPE Expert 1.5K-FA with ATU were a pleasure to use. No worries
about SWR with the ATU taking care of that as we freely QSYed around the band.
One the second day, before the band opened, Rob tried transmitting with the top
band antenna to Heather, AH7RF on Oahu (240 miles away) running 800 watts of 6
meter FM. That caused the one radial without an end insulator to burn through
its support line. The quick grafting on of a ceramic end insulator fixed that
and we were ready for another night of top band SSB.

Our goals were to provide a rarely seen multiplier and to set a new Hawaii and
Oceania multi-op SSB record. We succeeded in the latter by a good margin. Rob
polished his SSB skills while Dave acquired some (finally); great thing, that
voice keyer. Seven countries were worked with one JA station heard. While the
log shows 19 hours on the air we actually spent over 23 counting long stretches
without any contacts.