[3830] ARRLDX SSB ND0C SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, randysdvm@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB ND0C SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2023 00:34:56 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: ND0C
Operator(s): ND0C
Station: ND0C

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: MN
Operating Time (hrs): 22

  160:    0     0
   80:    5     5
   40:   26    22
   20:   86    50
   15:  160    61
   10:  252    66
-------------------
Total:  529   204  Total Score = 323,748

Club: Minnesota Wireless Assn

Comments:

Conditions seemed very good all day Saturday and into the evening, but less so
on Sunday.  I didn't do much operating during the night, but 80 seemed very
noisy - here at least (with a low dipole).

This was 100% S&P and just turning the big knob. It is so much fun to
stumble across a rare multiplier before he has been spotted.  Then the race is
on to work him (and hope he hears me!) before the packet hordes descend and the
pile-up develops.

I finally threw in the towel mid-Sunday afternoon due to my enigmatic and
intermittent SWR issues on the Yagi.  (A 5:1 SWR is not good, especially when
you're only putting out 5 watts!) I was fortunate the the antenna worked most of
the weekend and I was able to work a total of 86 unique DXCC entities.

Pile-up behavior was abysmal at times with stations calling over the top of the
station working the DX.  Some of the worst offenders were the big gun stations.
Sad lack of ethics.

Thanks to all the DX stations that worked to pull me out of the QRM and QSB.
Many good ops with great ears (and patience).

73,
Randy, ND0C

Station: Yaesu FTdx3000 running 5 watts out to Cycle 24 TX38 tribander Yagi at
40 feet, Cushcraft rotatable 40m dipole at 42 feet, and inverted vee with apex
at 38 feet, fed with ladderline and MFJ tuner.