[3830] ARRLDX SSB K5GN(@W5KU) SOUAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB K5GN(@W5KU) SOUAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2023 01:31:25 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: K5GN
Operator(s): K5GN
Station: W5KU

Class: SOUAB HP
QTH: S Texas
Operating Time (hrs): 40
OpMode: 2BSIQ

  160:   10     8
   80:   83    43
   40:  394    76
   20:  654    97
   15:  682   104
   10: 1386   112
-------------------
Total: 3209   440  Total Score = 4,006,200

Club: Texas DX Society

Comments:

Phone is more fun with sunspots.  But it is still phone.  My ears hurt and my
throat hurts.

This was supposed to be a part time not so serious birthday fun effort ... with
a major interruption in the middle and maybe I would stop before the end ... and
it started that way but with good condx comes more fun and more BIC.  As such, I
showed up at the station at 2314Z with nothing set up; decided not to do single
band because of the planned interruption and the fun of all band, and to go
assisted for fun.  Only one radio had voice playback, and the one that didn't
have it was the one that did most of the 10m operating time.  It was weird to
use different procedure for the two radios.  And the limited 2BSIQ (really just
keeping two slow walks going at the same time) was done manually, with the
expected goof-ups as a result.  I will have to do a lot of work to make 2BSIQ
phone work better.

Condx were better than I expected, though not nearly as good as they were for
CW.  The 20m nighttime opening on Saturday night was way cool!  10m was full way
up the band, much better on Saturday than Sunday; 15m was jammed wall to wall.
Low bands were quiet but signals were mostly weak.  I could not hear to the west
on 160 - a JA and a KH6 told me this afternoon that I was Q5 last night, but I
could only note their possible presence on the band.

There were some really ugly pileups.  We don't seem to know how to treat very
well the weaker DX ops when they are exposed to our packet pile-ons.

I screwed up bigtime a few times because of an undiagnosed foible in my Win-Test
setup where in some situations in automatic mode it would hook the microphone
audio opposite the way it appeared to be set (meaning I would be happily CQing
away or calling away on the wrong radio, usually on top of a pileup).

I was very happy to work a lot of people from far away whose callsigns have not
graced one of my logs in a long time.

73

Dave K5GN