[3830] ARRLDX SSB NR4O SOUAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, nr4o@att.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB NR4O SOUAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2023 01:37:42 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: NR4O
Operator(s): NR4O
Station: NR4O

Class: SOUAB HP
QTH: NC - FM05
Operating Time (hrs): 18

  160:    1     1
   80:   72    40
   40:   85    42
   20:  120    58
   15:  118    56
   10:  265    68
-------------------
Total:  661   265  Total Score = 525,495

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Well 10m was the place to be for a good part of this contest for me.  As is
usual for me in this contest, My Q's were 100% S&P.  I just find I'm not
able to maintain a run rate that equals my S&P rate.  Largely due to having
just wire antennas and not quite enough punch to hold a frequency in DX SSB
contest.  Friday evening had a little 15m and 20m activity.  But, I shifted
pretty quickly to 40m and 80m to catch the early EU stations.  Surprisingly I
was doing well in the pileups scoring many stations on the 1st or 2nd call. So,
the rate was pretty good. Took a look at 160m at ~0400z and landed 1 QSO with
ZF1A.  Checked it a couple times until I quit for the night at 0600z with
nothing but stateside stations. Saturday morning I started at ~1200z took a pass
across 20m, then 15m and then ended up on 10m for most of the morning.
Conditions seemed pretty good and was able to work almost everything I could
hear for about 3 hours.  The band was full of plenty of stations to work.  There
was a strange period for 30-45 minutes around 1530z when signal strengths were
really degraded.  10m was definitely the place to be.  I ended up taking an
afternoon 'break' to get some yard work done.  Historically I struggled early
afternoon to maintain a rate, so it was a good to get BOC(butt out of chair).
Then back in chair for a couple hours before a dinner break with friends.  At
that point I was just 8 Q's short of 500 in roughly 12 hours of op time.  Spent
a couple more hours on 40 and 80m to pick up any mults and the rest of the
workable(for me) EU stations and quit around 0400z.  The rate was really slow.
Sunday morning I got started a little late at 1330z spending a lot time on 10m
and occasionally scanning through 15 and 20m for mults and easy Q's.  Tried to
run a couple times with little success.  The rate really slowed down by 1730z.
then most of Sunday afternoon was consumed with the local NHL hockey team game.
Got another brief stint late afternoon to push my score 500k and just over 650
Q's that seemed like good targets.  Then dinner with the grand children and it
was all over.

Anyway, a relatively good contest from my home station.  But, disappointed I
missed my intended spot on the VP5M team.  Where it would have been a really
great contest.  That's another long story.  Maybe next year.

73,
Eric - NR4O