[3830] ARRLDX SSB K1KI(KM1P) SOUAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB K1KI(KM1P) SOUAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2023 05:26:19 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: K1KI
Operator(s): KM1P
Station: K1KI

Class: SOUAB HP
QTH: Connecticut CT
Operating Time (hrs): 34.5
OpMode: SO2R

  160:   18    15
   80:   92    47
   40:  165    71
   20:  514    95
   15:  971   106
   10: 1276   109
-------------------
Total: 3036   443  Total Score = 4,018,896

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

The contest started off with lots of snow static - the Beverages earned their
keep as the other antennas were useless for receive.  By Sunday morning I
thought we were clear of weather issues, but the power went out at around 8AM
local time likely due to some snow laden tree falling on a power line.
Fortunately, the whole house generator kicked on within seconds, and once the
amplifier warm up timers expired and the computer rebooted I was back on the air
about 4 minutes of downtime.

The low bands were nothing to write home about, but the high bands were great
with lots of good stuff on, including a lot of activity from BA and YB.   I
worked several UA0's, but not nearly as many as in the CW weekend - two weeks
ago I think I worked the entire ham population of Vladivostok!   I worked JA on
40m, and heard them on 80.  Lots of fun working casual ops who go into lots of
detail in response to "what is your transmitter power" - one op in DL
went on and on about his homebrew 10 meter transmitter hooked to a 2m long wire
in his basement.   I was unable to determine why he put the antenna there
instead of on his roof.

Big thanks to Tom and Kacy for hosting me!

de KM1P Joe