[3830] ARRLDX SSB N4SS(@W5MX) M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB N4SS(@W5MX) M/S LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2023 15:23:18 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: N4SS
Operator(s): W5MX KJ4YLR AC6ZM
Station: W5MX

Class: M/S LP
QTH: KY
Operating Time (hrs): 45

  160:   13    12
   80:   65    46
   40:  200    72
   20:  454    95
   15:  545    94
   10:  949   106
-------------------
Total: 2226   425  Total Score = 2,831,775

Club: Kentucky Contest Group

Comments:

This one had a very interesting start. Ended up working later than expected on
Friday so was running behind on getting everything together and heading down to
the station. On top of that, we had a massive windstorm moving through the area.
When I got down to the contest site (up on a ridge) the winds were incredible.
Definitely gusts well over 70MPH. Reminded me of the CQWW CW contests I have
done at II9P in Sicily, I have NEVER been anywhere with such frequent and strong
winds as there.
In any case, everything survived tower and antenna wise. That is why you follow
Rohn or MFG specs for tower installations - don't skimp out and take shortcuts
or try to save a buck on hardware! There were a lot of large trees down in the
area and we lost power 1/2 hr before the contest. We went down the hill to the
neighbor's house to see if they had lost power and luckily they had a generator
we could use. Since we were low power, it worked well to keep the gear, a couple
of lights and the refrigerator powered up. Power was off for 26 hours of the
contest. Instead of running a mult rig, we used just the single radio until
Sunday morning.
Conditions seemed great, and many long dx openings and surprise call ins. Had a
VU call on 10 meters at 10am time here, which was about 11pm there. He was
running 100w as we were, and he was crazy loud. JT1CO and a number of other deep
Asian stations were also very loud. Sure makes it fun with good conditions!
Besides the initial power loss, everything went well with the station, no
problems of any kind. Juan AC6ZM, Clayton KJ4YLR and myself powered through and
kept the radio on almost the entire contest. They did a great job!
As the last couple of contests, the low power challenge is definitely real. We
adapted to strategy and made it work. We will likely go back to high power for
the WPX contests to change it up a bit :-).
Thanks to all for the QSO's, was good to have short qso's here and there with
folks I have worked on cw so many times.
Best 73's all!
Bryan W5MX/N4SS