[3830] ARRLDX SSB W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wparker2@san.rr.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2023 23:59:13 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 22.7

  160:    0     0
   80:   12     7
   40:   25     8
   20:   70    38
   15:   91    45
   10:  167    54
-------------------
Total:  365   152  Total Score = 166,440

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

STATION W8QZA:

Radio: Elecraft K-2, 5 Watts.

Antennas:
  10-15-20 Meters: 3 el Stepp-IR up 32 feet
  40 Meters: 1/4 wave vertical with 3 radials
  40 & 160 Meters: DX-LB trap dipole up 30 feet
  80 Meters: Inverted L with 2 radials
Condx were great.  There were unusual openings like on 20 Meters into eastern
Europs in the later evening or polar path on 15 Meters into north Europe in the
evening.

My best Q was JT1CO in the early evening on 15 Meters. My DXCC was 75 (without
W-VE) and WAZ was 24 (without 3, 4, 5).

10 Meters finally opened with 112 Qs into Europe. I was also surprised to work 5
JA stations on 80 Meters with my inverted L antenna. Often I can't get even one.
Do the spots also help propagation on the lower bands??  I did not even try 160
Meters this year. My small lot and lousy antenna has failed me too often in the
past.

It sure is nice to see DX condx return.  It makes it a lot easier to stay up
late at 2 AM!  C U in WPX SSB. 73,  ...Bill  W6QU - W8QZA