[3830] ARRLDX SSB W4AAA(KK9A) SOSB40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, john@w4aaa.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB W4AAA(KK9A) SOSB40 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2023 05:00:38 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: W4AAA
Operator(s): KK9A
Station: W4AAA

Class: SOSB40 HP
QTH: North Carolina
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:
   80:
   40:  750    94
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  750    94  Total Score = 211,500

Club:

Comments:

I decided to operate 40m single band for this contest. We had strong winds all
day on Friday and a storm front just happened to move through the area right at
the start of the contest. I anticipated having to quickly shut down the station
however the lightning was not bad and the rain static held off until the second
and third hour. I made 69 QSOs during my first hour and then the rate dropped to
25/hour once the rain static started. Even after the storm passed it was
difficult hearing through the QRN and QRM from almost all of the stations packed
in a 75KHz band segment. The European signals picked up a little after their
sunrise which made it easier to copy and of course this improved rates. After
the European run, the band opened pretty well into Asia. The second day was
basically a repeat of the first except for even slower rates and I got bumped
around more with QRM. Throughout the contest I did little searching and pouncing
looking for new stations and new countries however a surprisingly large number
of my mults had called me, which I really appreciate. I would like to thank
everyone for the QSOs! 72% of my contacts were in Europe, 14% were in Asia, 6%
in Oceania and 5% in North America.

73,
John  KK9A
http://www.w4aaa.com