[3830] ARRLDX SSB K3RL SOUAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB K3RL SOUAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2023 05:55:38 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: K3RL
Operator(s): K3RL
Station: K3RL

Class: SOUAB HP
QTH: fn20gm
Operating Time (hrs): 30

  160:    8     7
   80:   84    47
   40:  104    56
   20:  237    82
   15:  259    85
   10:  374    93
-------------------
Total: 1066   370  Total Score = 1,182,150

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Conditions were outstanding compared to recent years. Although 100w max on 160
made it more difficult.
Old backup Drake L-4B amp used since Ten Tec Titan is not working. The power
switch failed half way thru, but fortunately it failed in the ON position, so
didn't affect the operation. I usually turn it off when I'm away for more than
30 minutes because it constantly draws 200ma plate current. This is because this
amp was modified to run QSK, but switching relays were not available so the
relay for the grid current was set to always be enabled.

Rig: Icom 7610/7300.
Antennas:
- TH6 tree mounted at about 45 ft pointing at Europe.
- G5RV at about 65 ft running N-S.
- single 10m dipole(10m driven element from old TH6 at about 20ft broadside N-S
for working South America.
- 40m/80m butternut vertical and 160m/80m lazy U dipole with 60/30 ft
horizontals.
- 160m inverted L, 70ft vertical.
all contacts S and P.
Never used the vertical or the 160m/80m dipole. The G5RV was outstanding on 80
and 40 and 20. It was great having the ability to instantly switch to it for
working south on 20m. I blew through many pileups using the G5RV or the TH6 or
the low 10m dipole. Conditions were that good and got many reports of "very
strong signal". Would love to hear what I sounded like on the other end.
Any DX that I worked and reading this can send me an email for an audio clip of
what you sounded like on my end.

On a new multiplier callout, it was fun to hear the line of fellow FRC'ers
working the new mult. I usually go work some other stations for 5 minutes or so
while the big aluminum stations make the QSO.

I do get a thrill when I beat K3LR in a pileup, though. Several times we worked
the DX back-to-back and I think that caused some confusion. I had to explain
this more than once. In one case K3LR worked the DX, then I worked him, then
K3LR called him again to make sure he got in the log. HI. I'm fairly certain
that op's have entered my call incorrectly as K3LR in several instances. Wonder
if the reverse has happened? HI.  73