[3830] CQ160 SSB K3KU Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, artboyars@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 SSB K3KU Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2023 02:01:04 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: K3KU
Operator(s): K3KU
Station: K3KU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 5:23

Total:  QSOs = 182  State/Prov = 30  Countries = 2  Total Score = 12,960

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I had a few minutes Friday evening before my other-world shutdown, so I tried to
make a few QSOs.  Oh no!  The external autotuner will not match the antenna.
It's too late to check the feedline for windflex damage, and Saturday night it
will be too dark.  I put that all out of my mind for 25 hours, and was rewarded
Saturday evening, just as I was ending my shutdown, by remembering that the
autotuner needs 10W of RF to work, and I had cranked my power down to 5W to do
some statio0n adjustments.  When I was QRV at 0030Z Saturday night, I bumped the
power back up to 100W, and the autotuner worked ok (mostly).  Off we go!

As in most contests, 100W and a dipole is more effective on CW than on SSB.  I
had some small runs.  I mostly was not being heard very well.  In the Caribbean
I worked only a ZF.

Amazingly, I did work my first 160M SSB European, sort of.  I5xxx managed to dig
me out (likely with the help of SCP and CHF),  Wow!  Then, reading other
participants' reports, I learn that he is actually I2xxx.  ("I clearly
heard him say 'five'..." but my hearing is so bad that it could also have
been 2 or 3 or 9.  And no, I am NOT fixing my log.)

A little surprised to miss VT, with three pretty active regulars.  Just about
zero QSOs across the Mississippi River.  I quit at 06Z, so I had little chance
there.