[3830] OkQP N4CD Mobile Single OpCW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] OkQP N4CD Mobile Single OpCW LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 15:38:47 +0000
                    Oklahoma QSO Party - 2023

Call: N4CD
Operator(s): N4CD
Station: N4CD

Class: Mobile Single OpCW LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 14

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
    6:
----------------------------
Total:  961     0       0  Mults = 69  Total Score = 204,427

Club:

Comments:

N4CD headed to OK for the 2023 QP.  Raw score includes 961 QSO CW.  Stopped to
run all counties/county lines.  This was a combined park activation and county
activation.   If you want to 'win' this contest, you just run county lines -
better yet if 3 way ones (there are a few in OK).  I'll let the others go for
max score.  I was out to have some fun.

Started out on drizzly morning from Dallas up to Atoka Wildlife Management area
2 hours away.  Got there early and put out the park on 30 and 17M.  Waited for
0900 local (1500z) to roll around then headed to 20M for a nice run of over 100.
 Stuck around an hour then headed to COAL county.  Ran the COAL/ATOKA line.

Zipped over to Arbuckle Springs WMA in Johnston County and had nice run there of
QP folks plus park chasers.  Seldom run location out in middle of nowhere in OK.
 Nearby town is pop 130 or so.

Passed by Blue River State Fishing Lake and couldn't help myself so 20 minute
run in the park on 20M only (still JOH county).  Headed to MUR going SW.  Passed
by another park (Texas Washita Arm WMA) and made a quick 20 Q from there.  Not
hearing a lot of OK mobiles or able to break through pileups when they/I am S3.
Did catch W0BH/ a few times (he has great ears) and K5CM/ once. Only fixed
station worked consistent was W5TM.

Rain, drizzle and gloom till 1pm.  Then cleared out and got up to 85F later in
afternoon.  Windy and wind persisted through Sat. Got chilly on Sunday.

Down to Mar (ran C/L of MAR/JOH) then headed west to LOV/CAR in Lake Murray
State Park.

I don't run at night so headed to Microtel Inn in Ardmore.  Dinner at the
Sirloin Stockade (buffet place) - very good.   Breakfast at the Microtel.
Twiddled thumbs for 2 hours.  Then headed out.

After change to DST, had to spin wheels waiting till 10am local time (1500z) for
the contest to start again.  Went to the GRV/MUR line and put that out.  Headed
west through CAR county and see a van with roof full of antennas! (W0BH?).  He
headed east, I'm headed west.  Nothing on the radio heard.   Continue to the
GRA/STE line and run that.  Head south to JEF.  Find nice spot to run it.  The
mystery van with a roof full of antennas reappears and Bob, W0BH and Lorna,
k0WHY stop by for an eyeball!

Head east to I-35 at Marietta.  Get on I-35 and it's 3 mph all the way down to
exit 1 - groan.  Well, look for some WI QP stations and put 15 of them in log
for their QP.  Get off at exit 1 and head to the Love Valley WMA park.  Only 20
minutes now left in contest so make a short run again from LOV.  Hopefully some
new park chasers will show up.  Only short time on Sunday as it ends at 4pm
local time.

Head home to Dallas  - after another5 miles of 3 mph creep on I-35.  Bad
accident being cleared out.  Then zipped rest of way home.

Notes:

1.  I log on paper.  So maybe a few dupes in their. My log program doesn't do
dupes. Or figure out mults.  (FLE for parks).

2.  Conditions good.  Making 10 plus Qs on 10M and 15 and 20 good.  Never made
it to 40M so missed some states

3.  Worked 42 states missing LA, UT, RI, ND, SD, WY, AK, HI, 13 DX stations
including MI6, G, Sp, HA, 9A, om, OH, OK, NP4, LY, DL, SM, .  Caught only ON,
MB, AB and BC in Canada.

4.  Activated six parks along the way.

5.  Wondered why there was S5 hash on radio  at Love Valley WMA in LOV OK.
Turns out KC4EEL was not far away on 20M SSB in the contest.   A group came up
from nearby in TX to be there portable(?)  in LOV OK.

6.   2016 Chevy Malibu with 150,000 miles, IC-7100, Schurr paddle, 4 mag mount
on roof top - usually running 20/15/20M with individual antennas.  Rear antenna
six foot mast on 3 mag mount on trunk deck with 40/30/20/17m.   Took 2 minutes
to change top antenna band to band.

7.  Score includes 5500 bonus points for activating 11 counties in OK.

8.  I write the County Hunter News.  Often your comments are included.  Complete
write up next issue Apr 2023 .    www.chnewsonline.com

73 de N4CD