[3830] MDC QP K4HQK Amplified HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jwfuller@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] MDC QP K4HQK Amplified HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 01:50:24 +0000
                    Maryland/DC QSO Party - 2023

Call: K4HQK
Operator(s): K4HQK
Station: K4HQK

Class: Amplified HP
QTH: Alexandria, VA
Operating Time (hrs): 2.25

  160:
   80:
   40:   8      17      0
   20:
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
  432:
----------------------------
Total:   8      17      0  Mults = 13  Total Score = 583

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Activity was so sparse I ended up listening on and off for seven different times
during the contest. Was this typical, or from WAE competition?

Conditions were long on 40m—the only band on which I could hear any MDC
stations—and noisy from distant QRN. Propagation on 40m did not favor Maryland
and D.C. during the afternoon unless the station was nearby, but over time
signals grew stronger.

I began at 1030 EDT on 40m CW, but hearing nothing, I switched to 40m SSB and
worked four. Forty minutes later I discovered two on CW and worked them.
Dismayed, I then went QRT for four hours.

A little after 1500 I returned to 40m and made six more QSOs (three CW, three
SSB). Hearing no further activity, I stopped again. During the 1700 hour I
completed another four.

My final push was in evening prime time, where I expected to hear more activity,
but it had increased only a little. Between 2022 and 2149 I made nine more QSOs,
so with that, I headed for bed.

Bottom line: I was disappointed to hear so few Maryland stations from my QTH
(Alexandria, VA). My 25 QSOs provided only 12 of the state’s 24 counties. I
did work two stations in D.C. Still, it was a rare treat to work a few
low-population counties such as Garrett (W3IBT), Queen Anne (W3MAM) and Allegany
(KB3CS)

My operating mode was all S&P in the “AMPLIFIED” power category
(150-600w) using an Icom 7410, ALS-600 amp, and a 40m dipole barely off the
ground because a squirrel had chewed the guy rope in half.

Finally, must the rules be so complicated and in need of proofreading? Even the
online submission form, which required counties worked to be checked off, did
not include the three-alpha codes for the counties. I had to cross-reference
them from the rules PDF. Guys, fix it!

John K4HQK