[AMPS] SB220 Wafer Switch

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SB220 Wafer Switch
From: AD4HW@citrus.infi.net (DAN)
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 04:57:54 -0800
Donald P. Butler wrote:

> I cooked a couple fingers on the rotary wafer switch in one of my
> SB220s last weekend during the contest.
>
> I checked with Al, WA4DRU, who sells Heath amp parts and upgrade
> kits.....he no longer has them available
>
> Does anyone know of a possible source for a replacement? ..or
> suggestions for repairing the bad switch?
>
> Hopeful??
>
> Don, N5LZ

Hi Don,

When I acquired an SB-220 a few years ago, it has several burned
contacts.  After looking unsuccessfully for a replacement at a reasonable
cost, I went the repair route.

At a hamfest, I found some switches with nice gold plated contacts for
about a dollar per switch.  I drilled out the rivits holding the
contacts, and fitted them to the damaged switch (I replaced them in
pairs--one on each side of the wafer).  To hold the new contacts in
place, I cut a piece of thick copper wire, and inserted it through the
rivit holes and through the switch wafer.  I then soldered the contacts
into place against the shaft of the copper wire.

Obviously, this is delecate work; but if you're so inclined, you can make
the switch as good as new.

Good luck,
Dan - W4TQ