[AMPS] Forward/reflected power

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Forward/reflected power
From: dhall@jps.com (Doug Hall)
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 11:07:58 -0500
Tom Rauch (W8JI) <W8JItom@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>If you have 2500 watts forward, and 1000 watts reflected, it is 1500
>watts output.
>
>73 Tom

Looking at this statement some more, I think maybe my confusion has to do
with how the Bird wattmeter works. If I have a 50 ohm termination and put
1500 watts into it the Bird will read 1500 watts forward and nothing
reflected. What if the termination is changed to 25 ohms? Now I read
reflected power, but does the wattmeter now read something other than 1500
watts forward? I guess that's where I'm confused. (I don't have a Bird
meter.) On reflection (no pun intended) I guess it makes sense - change the
load and the power changes if the voltage stays the same. Maybe I should
invest in a Bird meter...

73,
Doug, KF4KL