[AMPS] ALPHA TRIP-OUT

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] ALPHA TRIP-OUT
From: QROKING@aol.com (QROKING@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 01:59:29 -0500 (EST)
Matt,  I am sorry to hear that your Alpha (know as the "light show" amp by
many) is kicking out before the amper light.  Now I dont particularly know
that amp, but I assume it has a delay time of  3 minutes or so before the HV
goes to the tube.  If this is so, and the amp tripsout in only seconds, I
would rule out the power supply, since I dont believe the HV supply goes into
action until the waiting period is timed out.  I would then suspect a bad or
shorted filament in one of the tubes or perhaps a bad filament transformer.
 This is easy enough to test,  simply yank the tubes and turn it on and see
if the breaker trips.  If it does, it could be the filament transformer.  Now
if the delay times a HV vaccuum relay (I dont think so) but if so, then the
HV supply goes on right away and it could be the problem.  But I think the
delay controls the AC input to the transformer.  It is even possible that the
blower motor could be the problem, it could be shorted or jammed or someting
that will cause a hi cureent draw, try disconnecting it and see what happens,
 My guess is that it is something related to the AC input and related AC
componets, I dont think it is on the DC side of the supply.  You can see if
the blower is shorted, it would take the breaker out pretty quick.  Generally
low voltage DC stuff opens or burns up quick and wont take out and main
breaker or fuse.  I would try these simple tests first, before I panic about
it.   Let us know how you made out, record any additional data and report
back I am sure we can nail this problem in no time.   Good Luck....73 LOU