[AMPS] HV PWR SUPPLY SAG

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] HV PWR SUPPLY SAG
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 12:30:43 EST
On Sun, 16 Mar 1997 10:39:47 -0500 (EST) QROKING@aol.com writes:
  I am using a brand new 240/3000 volt transformer from Peter
>Dahl...cost $500.00.  The rating on it is 2 AMPS CCS.  I purposely did
>this
>purchase to avoid the ultimate problem I am having.  I am using new
>W2AU
>silicon alley brick diodes...$60.00.

Excuse me if I am in error here, but aren't those K2AW diode blocks only
rated at 1A each? The 250A surge rating is for single cycle transients
and not for ICAS type ratings. I'm actually suprised that they have not
become damaged. Perhaps a better choice would be a string of 1N5408's
(1KV @ 3A) or  MR760's (1KV @ 6A).

  As I mentioned
>before, my
>line voltage at the transformer input under a 45 amp "key down" load
>only
>goes from 238 volts to 229 volts.  This is well within electrical
>specs.

Here is where I get a bit confused and maybe Tom can comment. The
transformer is rated at 3000VAC @ 2A, which is 6KW of power. However at
45A of primary current at 229V that equates to 10.3KW. The transformer
efficiency is how much???  90% or better??
 An experiment may be in order here to determine the "real" and not
advertised ratings of that transformer. Using Toms suggestions for C and
expected voltage drop in a properly configured PS; then reduce the
secondary loading until the no-load/full load delta is reached. What
should the drop be....I dont know but I thought Tom mentioned 10% awhile
back.

My curiosity is increasing. Jump in Tom!

73....Carl  KM1H

 Now