[AMPS] Grounding

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Grounding
From: ab4ru@stc.net (Ron Hooper)
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 00:06:27 +0000
Alfred J. Frugoli wrote:

> When grounding an amplifier, should the ground strap go from the amp to
> the tranciever and then to ground, or should the amp and tranciever
> grounded directly to ground individually?  Will the latter cause a
> ground loop?  Thanks.
> --

  Grounding from the rig to amplifier will duplicate the coax shield
being used as a ground in most cases. I always use RG8 spec grade coax
with a heavy shield, instead of some smaller stuff and forget the bond
between the amp and rig.
  I ground the towers very well and never ground in the shack.I have
found that grounding in the shack leads the lightning to my equipment.
Usually a strike will raise the ground above ground and if you have a
long coax going to a ground in the shack it will run right to it. If you
feel better about grounding your equipment, ask some one that has had
thier equipment grounded and lost it to lightning. Power plug
connections will also serve as a ground, since it should go back to a
ground rod nearby your power panel.
  If your having problems with RF getting back into the shack, its
probably coming in on the outside of the coax, which could be a problem
with the antenna. Grounding in the shack will help put the rf into the
ground but it would make better use if put into the air.
Ron W4WA