[AMPS] MLA-2500B Input SWR

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] MLA-2500B Input SWR
From: w8jitom@worldnet.att.net (Tom Rauch (W8JI))
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 08:35:48 -0500
Hi John,

It's tough to get an auto-tuner to work into a PA, because the inherent
negative feedback and varying grid current affect the input impedance as
drive level changes.

 John Bradley wrote:

> 1.      Was I correct in concluding that the 100 ohm resistor should be in the
> input circuit?

It actually should have series swamping resistance as well. The 8875's
are easily overdriven by any 100 watt PA.

> 2.      Do you think my problem with 10 and 15 meters is caused by excessive
> inductance of my 3 in. wire from the input signal to the 100 ohm resistor?
> If not, any ideas?

No, the PA needs a input matching system.

> 3.      What kind of power should I be getting out of this amplifier?  The
> power
> in is between 80 - 100 W. (depending on band).

Well over a kilowatt, unless the tubes are soft.

> 4.      Is there any simple modification to the input network that would
> improve
> the match with a driver like the TS-450?

No.

> Any other advice regarding this amplifier would be welcome as well.  Thanks
> for any help on this; and thanks to everyone contributing to the reflector,
> it makes for enjoyable reading.

Add a grid overload circuit to disconnect the tubes if you mistune the
amp. It only takes a matter of seconds to ruin the grids if the PA is
underloaded.

A grid protection system is the single most important thing you can do
to improve tube life. A series energy absorbing resistance in the anode
supply lead is another.

73, Tom