[AMPS] good, bad, ugly

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] good, bad, ugly
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 97 06:39:03 -0800

the tube envelope.  Gas is one possibility.  Gold melt-balls is another.
Gas enters the tube through a bad ceramic-metal silver-solder joint .
However, this is uncommon.  Gold melt-balls are not.
  Gold melt-balls are apparently produced by an oscillation condition.
The loose gold originates from the grid's gold plating.  During
intermittent VHF/UHF parasitic oscillations, thin surface layers of gold
boil away and condense into tiny melt-balls.  The semi-fix is to reduce
the VHF voltage amplification of the 3CX800A7s by lowering the
parallel-equivalent R of the VHF parasitic-suppressor assembly.  Wherever
practical, it is helpful to reduce the VHF Rp of conductors between the
anode and the tune capacitor.

Just because a tube has some loose gold does not necessarily mean that it
is kaput.  Interested persons are invited to phone or e-mail me for
details.

R. L. Measures,ag6k,805-386-3734