[AMPS] Solid State amps

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Solid State amps
From: thompson@mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 1997 13:35:23 -0500 (EST)
Technology is is place to build solid state 1.5KW amps.  It has been since
the early 80's when QST published an article on an all band 1KW amp (1982).
Another amp the "SSKW" was published in QST about 1990 or 91.  Part of the
preface to this article talked about all the difficulties in building a
solid state KW (poor IMD, poor regulation etc) and talked about the Mirage
attempt (they did sell a few 50W in 800W out amps).  Part of the problem is
artificial...the FCC won't let a commercial amp have capability from 24 to
30Mhz and they must take more than 50 watts to drive....

Mirage finally gave up per the SSKW preface as there were too many hurdles
to cross and the amateur market too small.

Another aspect required for the bigger solid state amps is that the
traditional 13.8V supplies could not product the 100 to 200A for these amps.
Research done in the commercial maket showed that 28 or 50V supplies were
more suited.  I have not seen an ad in a while but Lucas Thansformer was
making high quality 28 and 50V models which is what Ameritron/MFJ used for
the 600W model they sell.  Steve Pan has a prototype 1.5KW model at
Ameritron/MFJ but so far they want to sell the current models including the
newer 3XC800 models and the 1.5KW model would probably cut into
AL82/1200/1500 sales.

So there are two choices...someone else must build an amateur model or we
must homebrew one!  Several on this reflector have been building amps for
over 50 years.  Even with the higher cost of components today I still see no
reason for the pricing for the JRC or ICOM 4KW models.  A SSKW1.5 model
could easily be built for around $1,000 for the amp deck and a large Lucas
supply runs about the same.  I cannot see much more than another $400 or 500
for control circuitry and cabinet.

Rumor is that OH2BH was building SS amps for his Dxpeditions.........

Dave K4JRB