[AMPS] Amperex 3-500Z's again

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Amperex 3-500Z's again
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 1997 19:26:30 EST
I received a good memory tweak from AF2C about Amperex tubes in Drake
amps. Went down into the dundgeon and read the L-7 manual...the L-4 is
similar.

In the Maintenence section it lists expected idling currents for the
following:

TUBE            CW         SSB
Amperex 3-500Z       100ma        160ma
Amperex 3-400Z       100ma        160ma
Eimac 3-400Z           110ma        170ma
Eimac 3-500Z           170ma        220ma

>From the above it would appear that the Amperex tubes are operating
deeper into the Class B region with the operating bias and HV remaining
constants. A bit more tendency toward instability wouldnt you think?
Also a bit harder to drive to say 1000W but also capable of a bit more
output when pushed. I'm pushing the memory here but I believe that the
Amperex tubes peaked at about 275-300 ma grid current and the Eimacs at
250-275ma in a PT-2500A I used to own.

73....Carl   KM1H

Comments?

73...Carl    KM1H