[AMPS] Amplifier Preventive Maintenance

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Amplifier Preventive Maintenance
From: Bill_Mcdowell@mail.ehnr.state.nc.us (Bill McDowell)
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 10:18:02 -0500
     If you own an amplifier that uses the metal/ceramic tubes with forced
     air cooling you may be in for a surprise.  Take a few minutes and pop
     the top and see how much dust and dirt has accumulated in the fan and
     around the base/inside of the tubes.

     I was astounded at the amount that was present in my Alpha 86 and
     spent the better part of two hours doing some much needed cleaning.  I
     feel this information may be useful to others reading this reflector
     and if it prevents the early demise of those very expensive finals all
     the better.

     It is a little tricky cleaning an amp, but cotton-tipped swabs, pipe
     cleaners, small artist brushes (long handle), flashlight and, believe
     it or not, my Toro leaf blower were used in the process.  If you have
     a better source of compressed air the leaf blower won't be needed!
     Pay special attention to the dirt accumulated on the vanes of the
     blower; knock it off with small brush or cotton swab and blow it out.
     Also inspect the variable capacitors and clean with pipe cleaner.

     It was necessary to carefully remove the tubes and upon inspection
     found the air vanes inside the envelop were very dirty as well.  A few
     shots of a rapid evaporating, non-residue cleaner containing
     trichloroethane and propane did the trick.  Remember to spray from the
     top down and put a sheet of white paper underneath to prove to
     yourself just how dirty they were.

     After all was reassembled and the amp back on line, there was a very
     obvious increase in the airflow felt by hand as well as much quieter
     blower noise.

     This preventive maintenance will be performed each year now that I
     know how dirty they get.

     Bill, K4CIA