[AMPS] Amp Metering

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Amp Metering
From: k0wa@southwind.net (Lee Buller)
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 13:28:47 -0500
I am resisting the urge to build an amplifier...but my curiosity has surely
been aroused.

This time it is monitoring the amplifier.  I've been going through the
literature concerning how amps are metered.  Besides the usual Plate
Current, Grid Current, Plate Voltage and the "cheesy" Power Output Meters
(these I deem worthless on most amps, that is why we buy watt meters), what
is the best way to insure you have the amp tuned the best.  Use a Scope to
look at the linearity?  Wasn't that done with a "seeing eye" tune in the
50s?  Did Collins have one of those on their 30v2?  I might not have that
right either.

Well, I would like to see a discussion on

1.  What best monitors an amp's paramters

2.  What should we be doing now that we are not doing at all in the tuning
and monitoring process

3.  Circuits we could install in current amps that give a true indication of
what is going on in the amp.

4.  Any other ideas on monitoring amp parameters.

5.  What would be the ultimate metering/monitoring system

6.  Does it matter?

Converse away guys...I am interested in your answers.

Lee
k0wa@southwind.net