[AMPS] SB-230 still works fine.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SB-230 still works fine.
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 97 10:01:01 -0800
>Is the lack of vhf suppression you mention in the SB230 a possible cause
>of LOTS of RF into my computer while operating on 40M?
no.  The VHF oscillations are, if they occur, intermittent in nature.
> Or might that be
>a factor of just 40M?  My AL-80 (original model, not a or b) also has
>this problem.  Any thoughts?  Both amps are well grounded.  my 40M
>antenna is about 200 feet from the house and at 70 feet.  Thanks.
The RF interference comes from the antenna, so grounding matters not.  I
am guessing that you are probably using a Wintel 'PC' machine.
Macintoshes are typically shielded better than PCs. Mine has a conductive
layer on the inside of the plastic cabinet.  It is not affected by 8kW in
a nearby 40m/80m dipole.
 Split ferrite 'snap-on' RF chokes may be of some help.  Such chokes are
also useful in keeping RF out of modems.  Motorola furnishes such a choke
with their HS modems.
Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K