[AMPS] 811A and 4-400C Amp designs

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 811A and 4-400C Amp designs
From: tsh@concentric.net (Tom Hammond)
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 19:46:32 -0400 (EDT)
I recently received as a gift two sets of four (8) 811A tubes and a single
4-400C. The 811A's are currently in a homebrew bandswitched amp but I'm
afraid to turn the damn thing on. It's been a while since its been on the
air and the contruction is questionable. The 4-400C was pulled from duty at
a local radio station as part of regular P.M. It's in the box. I do not have
a socket or chimney for the 4-400C, so I'd appreciate guidance in locating a
source.

I've been subscribed to the reflector for about a month and have not seen
much about these tubes, so I'll ask. I'm interested in building an amplifier
or two with these tubes and would like some recommendations. Based on all of
the recent activity regarding bandswitching, I think I'll stick to a
monobander for the first one, probably for 75m. And since the 811A's are
triodes, I'll probably use them first so I don't have to build grid/screen
supplies. KISS method.

Can anyone refer me to a design for an amp using either of the tubes above.
I know the (4) 811A has been done in a few commercial (amateur) variaties,
but I haven't seen a design in the handbook. I'd like designs that are
robust and that don't skimp. I'd appreciate recommendations for plate
voltage, drive level, duty cycle, etc.

If this is fodder for the reflector, please respond directly. Thanks in advance.
|Tom Hammond           Home: tsh@concentric.net |
|WD8BKM, EN82gt        Work: tom@mcsl.com       |
|144, 432, 1296                                 |