[AMPS] amp t/r control

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] amp t/r control
From: kl7ra@icefog.gcgo.nasa.gov (KL7RA Fairbanks Alaska)
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 97 18:06:11 utc
Ian G3SEK

Although not as elegant as the hardware xmit/rcv sequencer you
suggest there is now available with some of the contest software
comparable amplifier t/r controls (N6TR).

The transceiver's output is delayed by some software adjustable
time in milliseconds to allow the amps t/r relay to operate and
bias the tube on. The t/r relay is then held closed until the delay
time is up and the RF is off. This is done by controlling the lead
and delay of the ptt line by a computer interface.

Using this system for example allows a 781 to key any of my
homebrew junk where before it was "spark city" hot switching.
Because the Kenwood 830's key all this stuff just fine I have never
bothered to update the keying circuits.

This reflector has caused me to get the "bug" and redo the amps. I
have started with the 15 meter amp and did install reed/vacuum
relays, but may revisit that area because of your post.  Now that
I have the tank Q hosed up beyond all recovery I need to "fix"
something else in this amp that wasn't broke.

Rich KL7RA