[AMPS] Re: Front End Protection for Preamps

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Front End Protection for Preamps
From: philk5pc@connect.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Sun, 11 May 1997 21:33:35 -0500
Several have asked what size pilot lamp to place between the antenna and
the RF input to the preamp. My two Yaesu FT-ONE's use a 14 volt 0.2 amp
lamp right at the T-R relay. I have experienced no failures in 17 years
with this arrangement. Lots of RF appears at this point when I am transmitting
on my verticals on 160 and 80m and receiving on my EWE. All three antennas
are less than 30' apart. (city dweller!) I was able to find the lamps
with pig-tails installed at a local hobby shop. Also Icom dial lamps work
nicely.

Apparently, the new "rice boxes" have no protection at all. I see horror
stories here and in print of RX RF coils turning to charcoal on a regular
basis. Too bad..the manufacturers saved 15 cents by dropping a sure-cure!

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC