[AMPS] Re: skin depth suppression

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: skin depth suppression
From: philk5pc@connect.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 22:48:45 -0500
At 10:56 PM 5/23/97 +0000, you wrote:

>I guess it becomes a question of what the goals are. If you want
>less of a loss difference between HF and VHF, a more resistive
>conductor makes sense. If you want more loss at VHF with less
>disturbance at HF, use a thin resistive plating over a good
>conductor would be better.
>
>73, Tom W8JI

Hi, Tom, and fellow "Ampers!"

I brought up in another group several months ago the Henry suppressor that is
used on the current 8K-Ultra and other models. I thought it was an ingenious
idea, and I still do, although no one on the thread at the time seemed to get
as excited as I did. For those of you who are not familiar with the
suppressor,
it is a 5 inch piece of brass strap bent into a one turn coil. The width
of the strap and the diameter of the coil is 1 inch. The suppressor is then
chrome plated to a depth sufficient to create the correct RS for the circuit
for which it is intended.(a 3CX3000A7, in this case) The skeptics informed
me that this was not chrome plating, but some other material. I visited the
Henry factory where it was indeed confirmed to be chrome. The advantages of
such a device are obvious...at VHF, it looks lossy. At HF, it looks like a
big, wide piece of brass strap. The RS is "built in," so there is no parallel
resistor required to burn up on 10 meters, or fail during a fault. It does
the job for which is was designed...it stabilizes the "system." The chrome
plate is as beautiful as a car bumper for years! It has a little something for
everyone...the nichrome camp, the silver plated copper camp, and folks like I
who truly admire a simple solution to a very complex problem. I don't know if
this was an "in-house" Henry development, or from someone on the outside, but
I would like to shake the man's hand some day!

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC