[AMPS] Question on bias switching

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Question on bias switching
From: w8jitom@postoffice.worldnet.att.net (w8jitom@postoffice.worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 14:03:12 +0000
Hi Bill,

> Most designs for GG amplifiers show a relay in the cathode
circuit to
> switch the tube from standby to operate and there is usually a
> resistor across the contacts, typically 10K or so.
>
> Is this resistor really necessary?

No, it does almost nothing. It makes only the slightest change is
quiescent current and open circuit relay voltage.

There was even a rumor going around (it was on an amplifier Web
page) this was a cause of 8877 grid cathode shorts. The real cause
was Eimac was having material problems with a heat dam in the tube.

By the way, if you are building an 8877 PA, avoid tubes from the mid
to late 80's. They were VERY prone to grid-cathode shorts, and gold
sputtering. I used to reject about 60% of the new 8877 tubes tested
in bad production batches. The failure is related to filament
operating time and number of off and on cycles.

73, Tom W8JI