[AMPS] IMD

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] IMD
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 97 14:22:39 -0700
>At 08:11 AM 6/11/97 -0700, you wrote:
>                                                  IF you switch to a
>>different radio, reset the grid V for zero grid current with max.. RF
>>out.  That's all, folks!
>
>         No way Rich. Doing it this way will in many instances result in
>class "C" operation. ...

   This scenario would only be possible, Jerry, if the Class AB1
amplifier was designed with an extraordinarily wide range of screen V
adjustment, and an ignorant operator adjusted the screen-V instead of the
grid-V.

 For example, an 8171:  grid bias V is -350v for Class AB1 and it is
-350V for Class C.  How can you adjust the amplifier for Class AB1 or
Class C with the grid bias V adjustment, Jerry?
  To change an 8171 amplifier from Class AB1 to Class C, the screen V is
reduced from 1500V to 500V.  In the one I designed and built, the
regulated screen voltage was adjustable from 1000V to 1510V.  To run this
tube in Class C would have required a separate 500V screen supply because
the power transistor used for the regulated screen supply pass element
could not safely withstand more than 550v drop.  .
  Similarly, Class AB1 grid bias supplies are designed for a practical
adjustment range.  In a typical 8171 amplifier the grid bias adjustment
range would be roughly 275v to 400v.  .
- -note- -  Class AB1 adjustment procedure is described in *Amplifiers*..
http://www.vcnet.com/measures
Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K