[AMPS] splatter etc

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] splatter etc
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 97 21:27:27 -0700
>> Does this make sense?
>> 'High Mu'  (Mu = 100 to 200) triodes need much grid current--and much
>> drive power--in order to draw their maximum rated anode current.   Mu = 2
>> triodes, like the 6336, need NO grid current--and NO drive power--in
>> order to draw their maximum rated anode current.  Seeing a high Mu triode
>> in a regulator is about as likely as seeing a low Mu triode in a G-G RF
>> amplifier. .......... ...

>That makes sense, but the application of that to a regulator is
>nonsense. ...snip...

Perhaps it does not make sense to you, but most of the tube-type
regulator designs I've seen use a pass element that is voltage driven as
opposed to current driven.  The only types of triodes that can draw their
rated anode current with no grid current are Mu of less than about 3
types such as the 6080 and 6336.

.>>> It is also more difficult to obtain high efficiency with a pentode

>> Outside the Rauchian World, it is universally acknowledged that pentodes
>> are more efficient than tetrodes.
>
>Another  personal remark.

The only person who said so is named Rauch.  The difficulty with pentodes
is parting with a large stack of greenbacks
Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K