[AMPS] Re:

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re:
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 97 15:17:21 -0700
>> From:          Rich Measures <measures@vc.net>
>> >Rich comments;-

>Peter said....
>
>> >Then my spectrum analyser is a liar.  ...........
>
>Rich said...
>.
>> Another scenario seems a bit more likely.
>> Rich---
>
>Rich,
>
>Peter is correct.

However, I could not help but noticing that Peter's statement did NOT
receive the "exactly correct", "precisely correct", or the even-higher
"EXACTLY correct" rating.  This leads me to believe that Peter's
statement could very well be slightly flawed.

...snip...
>Class AB1 does not always guarantee better IMD performance. Even
>though your "on the air tests" may have indicated YOUR PA was cleaner
>when AB1, you should remember you insist on using a "crummy bias
>system".

Eimac recommends using a 100k ohm or less Rout bias supply.  My bias
supply V-divider utilizes a 5000 ohm wirewound potentiometer, so the Rout
is probably on the order of several  thousand ohms.  If this is "crummy",
Eimac's recommendation is "crummy".

>With the stiffer bias system Ian suggested, your "big amp" might
>not have been such a splatter box at high drive levels.

The drive level did not change during the test.  Increased splatter was
observed when the bias V was reduced so that grid current began to flow.

Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K