[AMPS] AB1/2

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] AB1/2
From: G3SEK@ifwtech.demon.co.uk (Ian White, G3SEK)
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 13:41:52 +0100
Peter Chadwick wrote:
>Gas tube regulators.
>
>Someone asked about the dynamic impedance of gas tube regulators. I
>found some RCA info which  suggests about 160 ohms - that's for 105 and
>150 volt regulators, both the octals and the miniatures.

'Twas I - thanks for the information, Peter. That's about 480 ohms for a
typical string of two VR105s and a VR150.

>Some years back, there was an amplifier design published in the RSGB
>radio communications magazine using a 4CX1000, where the screen was
>regulated by using 400 1N4148s in series as a shunt regulator. They were
>run at about 40mA forward current, so the dynamic impedance would be
>about 250 ohms, decreasing as the reverse screen current  increased the
>current through them. The author also claimed an advantage in the
>negative temp co, so that screen volts decreased as the diodes handled
>more reverse screen current.

So the diode junctions and the 4CX1000 screen grid were both involved in
thermal runaway at about the same speed, but in opposite directions!

>An interesting approach, and the linearity was quite good.

I seem to remember that it was the ONLY passive screen regulator that
would keep that particular 4CX1000 free from runaway, so it was hardly a
strong recommendation.