[AMPS] Re: 8877

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: 8877
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h @ juno.com)
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 21:06:52 EDT
>-------------------
>The short answers are:
>1.   High Mu (100 - 200) triodes are not appropriate to use in Class
>AB1
>grid-driven linear amplifiers because high Mu triodes do not draw much
>
>anode current with zero volts on the grid--thus, the power output is
>small.
>2.  Low Mu triodes are not appropriate to use in Class AB2
>cathode-driven
>linear amplifiers because they exhibit low gain.

So what do you consider low gain Rich? What is your example of a good AB2
grid driven triode? Please constrict yourself to under 2KW output tubes
for now. I and others dont give a damn about tubes with handles.

>Triodes with a Mu of no more than roughly 5 are appropriate for Class
>AB1
>grid-driven linear amplifier service.  However, due to the high
>driving V
>needed, they are pretty much limited to audio frequency applications.

Why do you continue to make such a big deal over driving voltages? The
bottom line is that you use what works or is available.  The final system
complexity is not much different from a 3CX3000A7 that requires 400-500W
of drive in GG  or a A3 version in grid driven service that wants 1000V+
of grid swing. Just go with what works....either tube will "basically"
peak out at the same output once all parameters are met.
Heck, getting there is half the fun anyway.

73...Carl   KM1H