[AMPS] RE:Linear Amplifiers

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] RE:Linear Amplifiers
From: Peter.Chadwick@gpsemi.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 09:12:00 +0100
>>Can you explain exactly what you mean by 'coherent'

>a sine waveform

>>and  'non-coherent'
>>waveforms?
>
>A square wave would be an example of a non-coherent wave form.

Rich will doubtless forgive me when I say that I find this an
interesting and unusual definition of 'coherent' and 'non-coherent'
waveforms. It certainly isn't the definition used in such journals as
the IEEE Communications Transactions and the IEEE Transactions on
Vehicular Technology. The use of square wave drive is not precluded in
linear RF amplifiers - for example, a multi octave distributed wide band
amplifier will amplify a 3MHz square wave, and the Marconi H1100 was
used under such conditions in some experimental work (16 off 4CX250B in
distributed push pull - all for 1KW!)

I agree with Tom, although I must admit that I asked the question a bit
tongue in cheek. If a tube can be used at audio, grid driven in AB2 with
acceptable performance, then it must be capable of being used in exactly
the same way at RF - bearing in mind that at this stage, we are talking
about 'perfect' tubes in that internal capacities and inductances are
ignored. We don't use wideband transformers at RF at tube impedance
levels because the physical implementation of them leads to too many
strays - that's why we use tuned circuits. And because of the tuned
circuit having a flywheel effect, we can get away with a single ended
circuit.

73

G3RZP